Sunday 8th June - To the Cliffs?

The forecast a few days ago had sparked off some interest in flying the south coast cliffs, but as we have learnt before the forecast does change as the day gets nearer, and the airmass in the southerly wind  has to be just right. But Mark and James were determined to have a go,  so  Mark in ASW20 ENW and James and Mike Sl in DG505 went through the cliffs procedure carefully (as it was a couple of years since we last attempted this.)
The south coast run

In the event both gliders managed a few beats of the cliffs with the wind being a little light for epicness, but the main problem was the showers developing and the cloud base lowering. So they both headed back to the safe haven of Farway Common which was just a little bit soggy. Thanks to retrieve crew Simon L and Pete Sm.
Farway Common

Due to the low cloudbase and crosswind, club flying with a long list was also hampered somewhat and the rain in the afternoon called an early end. We welcomed back Agnes to the Club, who has picked up the bug for gliding since her flights on the Youth day.

Roly was kept busy with a group of 5 celebrating a 50th birthday, unfortunately only 1 of them flew due to the weather, but they plan to book another day.
Sally celebrates a 50th Birthday
Meanwhile The DSGC team at InterClub League at Keevil with the weather up country looking better, they  were set some tasks......
Pete St in Discus 230  flew 230kms! flying Pundit  class   "I've never seen such a stunning looking sky be so hard to fathom and use. Had it not been an ICL task I would have abandoned long before I did. After the first 2 legs I thought I'd be home by lunchtime - in the end I was lucky to see teatime! Got low at Membury when I couldn't find a cloud that worked and I just never got going again. After a long grind towards GLA into a 20kt+ wind I just couldn't reach the TP and not land out so after the N'th attempt and getting rained on I gave up and ran home while I still could."